Spo0o0oky baking with Dan and Phil!
- 125 grams plain flour
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder (sifted) ( half this for brighter colour)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 50 grams soft unsalted butter
- 100 grams caster sugar
- 1/2 heaped tablespoon green paste food colouring (THIS DIDN’T WORK FOR ME! Maybe just use red for BLOOD RED CAKES)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 90 ml buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon cider vinegar
- A tub of vanilla icing
Equipment: bowl, large mixing bowl, sieve, cupcake cases, cupcake tray, wooden spoon (or mixer set to beat)
For the decoration: chocolatey treats, edible glitter, gummy laces, metallic balls, sugar crystals, writing icing, food colouring
- Preheat the oven to 170°C/gas mark 3/325°F
- Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda in a bowl.
- In another bowl, cream the butter and sugar, beating well, and when it becomes a soft pale mixture beat in the food colouring and the vanilla.
- Then add half the dry ingredients, beat some more then the egg, followed by the rest of the dry ingredients
- Finally beat in the buttermilk and the vinegar and divide this extraordinary batter between the 12 cases. Bake in the oven for about 20-25 minutes (ours we a bit underdone in 20 mins) and your cakes will be BORN
- Leave them to cool on a wire rack and ice them when they have cooled down