Learn how to make devil’s food cake for Halloween dessert, in this video tutorial
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line cupcake pan with liners.
- In a small bowl, whisk together cocoa powder and boiling water. Add sour cream, and continue to whisk. Set aside for later.
- In a separate small bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk together and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar together.
- Add eggs and vanilla and continue to mix until smooth.
- Add half the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix.
- Add half the chocolate mixture to the batter and mix.
- Repeat until all flour and chocolate has been added into the batter mixture.
- Fill each cupcake well 3/4 full, and bake for 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely before decorating.
Devil’s Food Cupcakes
- Cherry pie filling
- 1 pound red chocolate melting wafers
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening (melted)
- Black buttercream
- Black fondant
- Fill each cupcake with cherry pie filling by coring out the centre of the cupcake. Place “lid” of core back on top of the filling.
- Pipe a tall swirl on to the top of the cupcake using the black buttercream, and a large open round tip (such as Wilton 1A)
- Place cupcakes, with buttercream on top, into the fridge to solidify.
- Melt red chocolate in the microwave for 60 second intervals, using 50% power. Stir between each interval, and continue until chocolate is smooth.
- Melt vegetable shortening until a liquid (30s-60s) in the microwave.
- Pour half of the liquid shortening into the melted chocolate, and stir to combine.
- Remove cupcakes from the fridge and dip the buttercream cone portion into the melted chocolate. Allow excess chocolate to drip off and place cupcake to the side to harden.
- Roll small pea sized pieces of fondant into cone shapes and curve them slightly to resemble horns.
- Dip the end of the horn into the melted chocolate, and press gently to either side of the red cone on the cupcake.
- Serve cupcakes when ready, or store in a sealed container for 2-3 days.